Born on the shores of Lake Superior in Thunder Bay Ontario, Arley Hughes has been inspired by this lush part of Canada her whole life. Living in Thunder Bay remains a constant reminder of her strength, determination, and ability as she takes on the Canadian Music Scene with her debut album "Parts of Me".
In writing "Parts of Me", Hughes set out to challenge herself creatively and push her own boundaries by honouring some of her first ever written songs with newer material. The result is a roots album that takes you on a trip with music that boasts a subdued folk vibe to heavier soul blues influences. From the moment you hear the album, it glimmers with a unique radiance that demands attention.
In recording her debut album, Hughes states that she became a much better songwriter in discipline and practice. Since 2004, she has honed her skill of writing and storytelling and is now moving head first into making her music career a full time gig.
Arley studied Classical voice at Lakehead University and Graduated with her Honors Bachelor of Music in 2005 and her Education Degree form Lakehead University in 2006. Hughes was versed in playing and singing in a variety of settings as she was picked up by many local Blues and Jazz bands. Although she is well versed in many styles of music Blues is her heart and soul.
Hughes has recently won the solo duo devision for the Thunder Bay International Blues Competition which will see her performing in Memphis Tennessee in January of 2018 for the Memphis Tennessee IBC. Arley is currently finishing the writing of her sophomore Album that is a collection of original Blues songs which will be released in the spring of 2018. In this new album Hughes covers a diverse amount of feeling and simmering musicianship as she allows herself to dive deep into the stories and feelings of all 10 original blues songs with vulnerability, grit and grace. Her powerhouse vocals will leave you begging for more as she weaves her story through your soul and deep into you heart. Hughes is truly a Canadian treasure that should not be missed.
Hughes has a spectacular ability to hold an audience in the palm of her hand with her plucky Canadian charm and her off the cuff humor. By the time the show is ready to end everyone in the audience is singing, dancing and becoming fast friends. She has the uncanny ability to allow the audience to let loose and participate in creating a space that is energetic and feeds the music lovers soul.
Hughes' Musical influences- Powerhouse women vocalists Susan Tedeschi, Etta James, and the greats - Aretha Franklin and Tina Turner. Blues legends Taj Mahal, Buddy Guy, and BB King as well as Jazz Queens Nina Simone, Billy Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald
- Opening Act for the 2018 Thunder Bay Blues Festival
- Quarterfinalist for the 34th annual 2018 International Blues Competition in Memphis Tennessee
- Opened for Shawn Holt and the Teardrops November 10th 2017
- Won the Thunder Bay 2017 Thunder Bay Blues Society's International Blues Competition for solo duo category and will be heading to Memphis to compete for the 2018 International Blues Competition
- Won the Thunder Bay Blues Societies' International Blues Competition in 2014 and got to compete as a quarter finalist with her band Loose Cannon on the world stage in Memphis Tn 2015
- Played the Main Stage for the Thunder Bay Blues Fest in 2005, 2009, 2014, 2015,
- Blues Showcase Winning Band - Thunder Bay Community Auditorium 2005
- Blues Showcase Winning Band - Thunder Bay Community Auditorium - March 2008
- Summer in the Parks Concert Series - Band Loose Cannon Marina Park, Thunder Bay - July 2014
- Canada Day Concert Headliner - Band Loose Cannon Marina Park, Thunder Bay - July 2014
- Graduated from Lakehead University Honours Bachelor of Music, Classical Voice 2006
- Graduated from Lakehead University Bachelor of Education 2007
- Voice, Piano, and Guitar teacher/coach from 2003 to December 2016
Album Review from The Walleye May 2017